The story of the Museum of Science & History (MoSH) began with the Pink Palace Mansion. The Mansion was originally designed to be the dream home of wealthy entrepreneur Clarence Saunders. The Museum derives its name from the Mansion's ornate pink Georgian marble facade.
Saunders, an entrepreneur and founder of Piggly Wiggly, began building the house in the early 1920's, but due to a legal dispute with the New York Exchange, he had to declare bankruptcy and the unfinished building was eventually given to the city in the late 1920s for use as a museum.
In 1975, an additional structure was built alongside the Mansion that greatly expanded the exhibit space and eventually became home to the Bodine Exhibit Hall, the Giant Screen Theater and Sharpe Planetarium (now the AutoZone Dome).
The Museum also includes the Lichterman Nature Center, the historic Mallory-Neely House and Magevney House.
The Lichterman Nature Center is a 65-acre, wildlife sanctuary and environmental education facility located in the middle of busy East Memphis at 5992 Quince Road. This "urban oasis" was the first accredited nature center in the United States.
The Mallory-Neely House, located at 652 Adams Avenue in downtown Memphis, is a 25-room Victorian era Italianate villa constructed in 1852. It contains original, premiere examples of stenciled and hand painted ceilings, parquet floors and stained glass windows.
The Magevney House, located at 198 Adams Avenue in downtown Memphis, was home to Irish immigrant Eugene Magevney. The white clapboard cottage, constructed in 1836 is the oldest middle-class residence still open to the public.