See the Magevney House in all its historical glory! This small, white clapboard cottage was built in the 1830s and was home to Irish immigrant, Eugene Magevney, the first permanent schoolteacher to reside in Memphis. Furnished as a typical middle-class antebellum home might have been in 1850 and featuring several personal possessions of the Magevney family, it is one of Memphis' oldest remaining residences. Closed in 2005, we have worked hard over the past several years to make this historic city landmark once again available to the public. The Magevney House is now open for tours the first Saturday of every month from 1pm-4pm.
Admission is free.
Our Historic Houses are temporarily closed for tours.
Please call 901.523.1484, or e-mail taylor.hopkins [at] memphistn [dot] gov for further information.